|1813 in Cornwall, England.|
|15 February 1892 in Godolphin, NSW.|
NSW prob Death Record 10116/1892
|John Glasson (1771-1856)|
|Mary Glasson (1783-1855)|
|Emma Hamline Mi(t)chell(e) (1809-1891) in 1838 in Helston, Cornwall, England.|
|Gustavus Richard Glasson (1839-1894)|
|Maria Theresa Glasson (1841-1902)|
|John Henry Glasson (1848-1921)|
|William Edward Glasson|
|Mary Louise Glasson (1853-1860)|
|Emma Hamline Michell Glasson (1830-1880)|
Richard was the second son of John and Mary to emigrate to Australia. Prior to leaving he was the Assistant Overseer for Breage in connection with the Poor Laws Administration.
The Glasson Saga
Richard finally made the decision. Shortly before he sailed he married a young widow Emma Hamline Michelle. Richard and his wife and two daughters by her former marriage (viz Emma and Lydia) and Richard's sister Mary, sailed in the ship John Patterson on 28th August 1838; eight years after his brother John. After their arrival in New South Wales, Richard and Emma first lived in a small dwelling in the Cornish settlement near the Orange-Byng Road. This was a temporary residence while Richard was building Willow Cottage … built on Richard's brother John's land near the Carangara Copper Mines.
In a letter dated around 1852 he writes to his parents that he had purchased another property called the Guyong Estate where he built the residence Godolphin.
Godolphin is an historic Australian property near the Byng settlement in the heart of the New South Wales Central Tablelands. Since its founder, Richard Glasson, was awarded a grant in 1852, the property has been handed down through six generations of his descendents who continue to raise sheep and cattle there today.
Richard and his wife Emma named the place after Godolphin House in Cornwall — home of Lord Sydney Godolphin, best known for introducing the
Godolphin Barbthoroughbred racehorse to the UK.
Cadira and Hartly are two additional cottages on the property used by family and farm staff. Cadira was built by the Glasson family for the eldest son of Richard and Emma Glasson, Gustvaus and his young wife Anna (nee Tom, sister of the gold discoverers) who were married in the 1860s. Gustavus had been managing one of the family’s property at Cadia (now owned by Newcrest mines near Orange) and perhaps the word Cadira is a corruption of this name.
When Emma died at age 34, their two children William and Olga grew up under the care of their Glasson grandparents at Godolphin and their Aunt Maria Theresa Treweeke who was living with her husband, Frederick at Umbercollie in Queensland.
Richard was a tall man like his brother John, but of heavier build.
The news of the death of Mr. Richard Glasson, J.P., at his residence, Godolphin, Guyong, on Monday, will be received with keen regret by every section of Orange citizens. Amongst his innumerable personal friends that regret will deepen into sorrow. Few men in the Orange district secured a wider popularity. His genial manner was the offspring of a kindly heart, in which malice had no place. Mr. Glasson was a native of Mounts Bay, Cornwall, and arrived in this colony as far back as 1839. The Orange district at this time was coming into prominence as a place eminently adapted to pastoral pursuits; and and the young Cornishman, who settled here, soon realised this. Mr. Glasson, who was a man of keen and quick perception, realised the splendid opportunities at his disposal; and it is needless to say he turned them to the best advantage, his children now inheriting property secured by their father, which is worth thousands. In physique he was a fine type of his race, and though he was close on four score years he was as erect as a willow, while his features did not bear any of those deep furrows which are sure marks of decay and declining years. Although he was in indifferent health for some months, the death of his wife, which occurred not long since, having helped the progress of decay, his sudden demise was a surprise to his family. On Monday, Mr. J. H. Glasson, who lives close to the paternal homestead, not expecting that his father’s end was so near, came to Orange, and was shocked when the sad tidings reached him. Mr. Glasson was, probably, one of the oldest magistrates in the Orange district, having been appointed to the position some 27 years ago. Ho leaves three children — two sons and one daughter, viz., Mr. J. H. Glasson, of Guyong, Rev. G. R. Glasson, stationed at Armidale, and Mrs. Treweeke, of Umbercollie station, who is married to a brother of Mr. F. Treweeke, of Clifton Grove. In his busy and useful life he made many friends and no enemies, and deep and universal regret will attend him to his grave.
Emma’s obituary says she arrived with husband in Orange district in January 1839 and then lived for 8 years at Cornish Settlement/Byng before moving to Guyong.