John Dight

 BORN 1772
 DIED 2 July 1837 at Richmond, NSW.

NSW Death Record V18372610 21/1837

AGE 65
 MARRIED Hannah Hilton (1782-1862)
 CHILDREN   Sarah Dight (1800-)
 Elizabeth Dight (1802-)
 Mary Dight (1804-)
 Ann Dight (1806-)
 John Dight jnr (1808-1867)
 George Dight (1810-)
 Charles Hilton Dight (1813-1852)
 Samuel Billingsley Dight (1815-1888)
 Jane Dight (1817-)
 Susannah Dight 1 (1817-)
 Arthur Dight 1 (1817-)
 Arthur Dight 2(1819-1895)
 Frances Dight 1 (1821-)
 Sophia Dight (1823-1899)
 Susannah Dight 2 (1826-)
 Frances Dight 2 (1831-)

Some sources say he was a Surgeon, others say a Millwright.

NSW State Heritage says:
John Dight (1772—1837) with his wife Hannah (1781—1862) and baby daughter Sarah arrived in the colony on 12 June 1801 as free settlers on board the Earl Cornwallis. They received a grant on 31 March 1802 of 155 acres from Governor King at Mulgrave Place — later called Richmond — the grant to be known as Durham Bowes. This grant was on the eastern bank of the Hawkesbury River, downhill and slightly north of the location of the later Dight’s Farm (today’s Mountain View). Richard Rouse and his sons (of Rouse Hill house and farm) had various grants on the opposite, western bank of the Hawkesbury River. Surveyor James Meehan laid out the grants in the area.

Various disputes arose among grantees about access to the nearby towns. Settlers fenced off access routes across their grants.

The Hawkesbury River was in flood three times during 1806 causing the destruction of the Dight’s four roomed brick dwelling on their lowlands grant. This induced them to purchase 9 acres on the highlands to safely accommodate their growing family. It was on the south-west corner of Edward Luttrell’s 1804 grant and became known as Dight’s Hill. The farm was advertised to be let in 1808 when John Dight was Superintendent of Carpenters at the Commissariat Store in Parramatta during Richard Rouse’s absence from that position.

In March 1812 John Dight contracted with Lewis Jones — who together with carpenter James Vincent were described in the Bigge report of 1820 as ’two of the best builders in this part of the colony’ to erect a dwelling house of two storeys for the sum of twenty six pounds. This building was next to, but independent of the original dwelling and consisted of one room on each storey. The contract was witnessed by Margaret Catchpole the esteemed convict nurse.

Governor Macquarie wrote to Earl Bathurst in 1817 and expressed indignation at the obstinacy of the Hawkesbury settlers, continuing to reside on lands subject to flooding. In 1819 Richmond’s populace petitioned Macquarie with many disputes over access to the towns (around other grants). Surveyor James Meehan’s recommendations were disregarded. William Cox Jnr. of Hobartville fenced off the road to Dight’s Farm, meaning that John Dight had to go the long way around his land daily to reach his lowland farm.

John and Hannah Dight’s family increased to thirteen children with the birth of their eighth daughter Sophia in November 1823. Two years later Elizabeth their second daughter married Hamilton Hume the explorer, following his return from discovering a route to Port Phillip.

During the 1820s and 1830s the sons of John and Hannah Dight were establishing themselves as pastoral pioneers in areas they had helped discover — Hunter River, Liverpool Plains, Namoi and Macintyre Rivers, Hume River (Murray ) and the Yarra River, where John the younger and his brother Charles built the river’s first (water-powered) flour mill.

Dight’s home Mountain View.

    Go to Index

⬩⬩⬩ web page made 24 October 2008; edited  ⬩⬩⬩