Arthur Byram

 DIED 1789
 MARRIED 1 Elizabeth Lyster (-1759) on 22 June 1763 at Chillingham, Northumberland, England.
 CHILDREN   James Byram (15 Sep 1754 - 29 Sep 1755)
 Arthur Byram jnr (8 Apr 1756 - 22 Apr 1756)
 Elizabeth Byram (1757-)
 MARRIED 2 Rosamond Mowbray in Holy Trinity Church, Berwick on 5 April 1766
 OCCUPATION Shipbuilder in Berwick upon Tweed.

The history of Berwick includes:
In October 1751, Arthur Byram got a grant of land below the eight-gun battery, to begin a ship-building trade, and he was allowed to import coastwise oak-planks, oak-timber, blocks, sails, rigging, and other materials the town cannot supply for carrying on said business, at such easy rates as in other towns of England, and free of town's duties and water-bailiff's fees. The work was carried on up to 1759 without interruption, when Byram was told that unless he employed freemen smiths he would be compelled to stop his work, and all his privileges would be taken from him. This difference was settled shortly afterwards, and Byram was allowed to go on unmolested in his operations. In 1789, the ground and the privileges granted to Byram were granted to Robert Gowan at an annual fee of 1d. In 1825 Arthur Byram Gowan was granted a lease for forty years of the same ground, on which he intended to erect a slip at an expense of £1,600. Ship-building beginning in 1751 immediately led to a ropery starting in town. On 28 February 1752, a ropemaker from Newcastle obtained a lease of a piece of ground for 5s. a year for this purpose.

There are few references to vessels constructed by Arthur Byram. The profitability of the business however, was evident in 1782 when Byram had a large house constructed for himself and his second wife at 25 Palace Street, not far from the site of his shipyard.

 Link     Link 

House at 25 Palace St, Berwick.

    Go to Index

⬩⬩⬩ web page made 1 March 2008; edited  ⬩⬩⬩